Kingsmen Baseball Shatters Losing Streak, Beats Linfield 25-0

In game three of the series, sophomore pitcher Scott Roberts gave up 3 runs and struck out four batters.  (Photo by Arianna Macaluso - Photo Editor)
In game three of the series, sophomore pitcher Scott Roberts gave up 3 runs and struck out four batters.
(Photo by Arianna Macaluso – Photo Editor)

The California Lutheran University baseball team finally broke their six-game losing streak in a three-game series against Linfield College April 12-13.

After a 5-2 loss on April 12, the Kingsmen made a comeback in games two and three, beating the Wildcats 25-0 and 9-3 respectively.

Game two of the series was a blowout with 14 Kingsmen getting across the plate and 10 notching RBIs. One of their largest victories to date, the Kingsmen claimed a season record of 25 runs on 22 hits.

Head Coach Marty Slimak said he wasnโ€™t worried going into the gameโ€”he knows what the team is capable of.

โ€œI donโ€™t think there was any kind of panic, but we knew we had to win these games to get us back,โ€ Slimak said.

Sophomore outfielder Nick Rhoades led the team in runs with 4 runs and 1 RBI. Senior infielder Anthony Sidley, junior outfielder Ryan Probst andย  junior third baseman Ryne Yamashiro added 3 runs each, while eight Kingsmen tallied single runs.

The scoring spree began in the bottom of the third with Sidleyโ€™s single to left-center sending junior outfielder Cortez Espinoza to home.

By the bottom of the fifth, the Kingsmen led the Wildcats 15-0.

The Kingsmen added 10 more runs in the sixth inning, bringing the final score to 25-0.

โ€œIt was about time,โ€ Probst said. โ€œI mean pitching has been carrying us the entire year and it was good to finally back them up on the offensive.โ€

The third and final game of the series was tied at 0-0 until Probst hit his second homer of the season in the bottom of the third. Yamashiro tallied another run on an error by the Wildcats, bringing the score to 2-0.

In the next three innings, the Kingsmen and Wildcats went run-for-run until the Kingsmen pulled away with a sacrifice fly by first-year catcher Jalen Parks, an RBI by Espinoza, 2 RBIs by Tanner Wright and an RBI by Weston Clark.

The game ended with a score of 9-3, bringing the Kingsmensโ€™ overall record to 20-11 and conference record to 9-6.

Now ranked No. 4 in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, the Kingsmen will head to the University of Redlands to face the Bulldogs April 19 at 3 p.m.

Brooke Stanley
Sports Editor

Britta Olsenย