Gallegly Center to Open in Ceremony

The Elton and Janice Gallegly Center for Public Service and Civic Engagement is about to open its doors to the public. The centerโ€™s opening will be officially marked at a ceremony taking place May 4 at the Gallegly Center in the Pearson Library. The event is scheduled to begin at 4:30 p.m.

California Lutheran University announced the launch of the Gallegly Center in March 2013, and the Board of Regents voted Oct.14, 2017 to authorize construction of the center. The construction of the center has taken about five months to complete.

The Gallegly Center is established in partnership with Cal Lutheranโ€™s Master of Public Policy and Administration program and serves the purpose of preparing and supporting students to lead lives of public service. It also serves to redefine what it means to be civically engaged, according to the centerโ€™s website.

The Gallegly Center offers graduate students full tuition coverage through its fellowship. The center also offers a visiting scholars and speakers program and various experiential learning opportunities.

โ€œThis is not just a building with someoneโ€™s name on it,โ€ said Elton Gallegly, the longest serving congressional representative in Ventura County history.

Gallegly has been a resident of Simi Valley for 51 years. He began his career in public service on the Simi Valley City Council, and was later appointed mayor. He retired in 2012 after working for more than 35 years in the public sector.

The new area in the Pearson Library will serve as a hub for the Gallegly Fellows program. In addition to providing study and collaboration space for students in the library, it will also feature a replica of Galleglyโ€™s office.

Associate Vice President of Planning and Services Ryan Van Ommeren said the Gallegly Center will be a part of the library but โ€œseparately enclosed within glassโ€ and will thus be a โ€œvery desirable study spaceโ€ with two computer workstations.

Yvonne Wilber, librarian and head of undergraduate instruction and outreach, said the newly enclosed atrium in the library will offer students โ€œmore room for study and collaborative projects.โ€

โ€œThe enclosure of the atrium provides needed additional study space,โ€ Wilber said. โ€œAlthough I donโ€™t think creating a museum to honor a public figure is appropriate in the library, I will work toward it being a space for critical engagement and action.โ€

The replica of Galleglyโ€™s office is true to scale and will house its original furniture as well as memorabilia from his many years of service, Gallegly said.

Gallegly said, โ€œThe real heart and core of the center is going to be the computer laboratory that will house all of the documents that dealt with the issues that took place during [his] 26 yearsโ€ as a congressional representative.

One of the speakers at the opening ceremony is former United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. Gallegly said he worked with Rice while he was serving on the Foreign Affairs Committee.

โ€œShe is one of the brightest people I have ever known. One of the most highly respected, by democrats and republicans alike, and she has a remarkable resume and sheโ€™s a remarkable human being,โ€ Gallegly said.

Rice will be giving her speech in the William Rolland Stadium about an hour after the official opening ceremony.

Gallegly said that theyโ€™re expecting about 2,000 attendees.

The ceremony is free to students who wish to attend. Reservations for the ceremony have to be made in advance and can be accessed online.

Julia Westman