Track And Field Break Records

The 2018 track and field season has proved to be one for the records as both the Kingsmen and Regals have seen athletes break into the school record books.

For the Kingsmen, three athletes have worked their way into the records as senior Timmy Kahovec, junior Rigoberto Baza Carillo and sophomore Obasi Dees have all established their dominance in their individual events.

Kahovec broke the school record in the 3000m as he raced to the line with a time of 8:50.13 at the Rossi Relays. Kahovec also broke into the top-10 as his time in the 1500m tied him for seventh in school history.

Junior Rigoberto Baza Carillo broke into 3000m records as well as his time of 9:07.68 earned him the number seven overall time in Cal Lutheran history.

Dees broke into the Cal Lutheran record books as his time in the 100m dash tied for the ninth best in school history with a time of 10.83. Dees, who also broke into the records last year in the 200m, has played a key role in the success of the sprint team and is also a part of the 4x100m relay team.

โ€œIt was a blessing and I was very grateful to accomplish this,โ€ Dees said. โ€œSeeing my teammates also place in the record books gave me a sense of excitement for them because theyโ€™ve worked very hard in practice and they deserve it.โ€

The menโ€™s team will be looking to finish strong as they go into the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championships after what has been a tough year due to injury.

โ€œOur biggest concern for the menโ€™s team is just getting healthy,โ€ Dees said. โ€œWhen we get healthy, weโ€™ll be able to finish strong and hopefully break some more records.โ€

For the Regals, an astounding 13 athletes have broken into the record books.

In the 100m dash, sophomore Ana Cordoba placed sixth all time with a time of 12.39.

In the long distance events, sophomore Rachel Ereso dominated as she broke into the record books in three events. In the 3000m and 5000m, she earned the seventh best times in Cal Lutheran history and in the 1500m she finished with the eighth best time.

โ€œEveryone has been working super hard this season,โ€ Ereso said. โ€œOur team has shown a lot of dedication and positivity this year which has helped us become stronger as a team and individually run new PRs.โ€

In the 3000m steeplechase, sophomore Erin MacNeil broke into third all time and senior Katie Young placed sixth. Young was also a part of the distance medley relay team who placed ninth all time, consisting of junior Cameron Baggs, junior Kylie Rodriguez and senior Mariah Mercado.ย  ย 

In the fielding events, junior Kelsey Rouse tied for sixth all time in the high jump, jumping the bar at 1.60m. Rouse also ranked fifth in the school record books in the heptathlon.ย  Sophomore Megan Pollock placed seventh all time in the pole vault jumping at 2.95m. In the triple jump, sophomore Morgan Snyderโ€™s jump of 11.10m placed her third in the record books. Snyder also placed fifth all time in the javelin throw at 32.56m. In the hammer throw, junior Alexa Barnes and freshman Jay Rhambo finished in the top-10 at fifth and ninth.

โ€œIt is amazing how many CLU all time top 10 marks have been achieved so far,โ€ said Assistant Coach Brett Halvaks.ย  โ€œAll of our student athletes train very hard and year round, so achieving those marks shows that all the hard work is paying off and how dedicated they are.โ€

After finishing up their last meet of the season, the Kingsmen and Regals have their sights set on the SCIAC Championships which will be held April 27-28 at the University of Redlands.

Scott Roberts