Veganism is a Nutritious Diet

Going vegan is a healthy choice.

For me, going vegan was not only that, but an easy choice too. I watched documentaries exposing the reality of the conditions some animals live in and the environmental impact eating animal products has. This was enough for me, to make the choice but sometimes issues need to be made personal in order to be relevant in the public eye. Veganism is one of these issues.

Most people will attempt to combat the statement above, immediately citing arguments of different nutrients a vegan diet must be missing. Iโ€™d like to prove these wrong.

โ€œHow can that be healthy?โ€

For starters, cutting out high-fat foods like meat and dairy is good for your health for obvious reasons. But donโ€™t take it from me.

According to an article by The Atlantic, veganism has been proven to be โ€œsuccessful in treating and preventing several chronic diseasesโ€ by the National Society of Biotechnology Information (NCBI). Some of these diseases are Type 2 diabetes, Parkinsonโ€™s and rheumatoid arthritis.

Dr. Michael Greger of the Humane Society of the United States found veganism to lower the risk of cardiac disease.

According to the National Cholesterol Education Program, going vegan is the best way to combat obesity.

OK, well thatโ€™s a lot of statistics. Letโ€™s take a look at an anecdotal account of what veganism can do for you.

โ€œI also had a few stomach ulcers and a bunch of stomach issues that the doctors couldnโ€™t figure out a cure to, but once I went vegan, my ulcers went away and my stomach issues stopped the same day,โ€ said Meagan Corwin, a student at Moorpark College whose research about veganism led her to create a Vegan Club at Moorpark.

โ€œWell what about protein? Surely vegans donโ€™t get enough protein.โ€

Wrong.

A cup of quinoa or four ounces of tofu will provide you with around nine grams of protein. One egg will put you at around six.

Tempeh, a vegan alternative to many meat products, contains the same amount of protein as chicken at around 30 grams per cup.

Other sources of vegan protein include nuts, beans and even veggies, which, by the way, are generally cheaper than buying meat or dairy products.

โ€œWell, what about other essential nutrients?โ€

According to Healthline, vegan diets contain more of certain essential nutrients than other foods.

โ€œSeveral studies have reported that vegan diets tend to provide more fiber, antioxidants and beneficial plant compounds. They also appear to be richer in potassium, magnesium, folate and vitamins A, C and E,โ€ according to Healthline.

Certain vitamins, such as B12 and fatty acids, may appear to be lacking in a vegan diet; however, there are easy replacements for each.

Many assume essential fatty acids, or omega-3s, are only obtained through consumption of eggs. However, the other foods high in these nutrients are almost all vegan. Chia seeds, hemp, flax, olive oil, almonds and even spinach contain high amounts.

As for B12, this vitamin is admittedly a ย little more difficult to obtain, as the main sources are generally fish, meat and dairy products. Vitamin supplements can easily suffice, but many plant-based sources, such as soy and rice-based products and nutritional yeast also contain B12.

Just like any other diet, veganism requires research and careful planning to get essential nutrients, energy and protein sources. In the end, however, going vegan has the unmatched benefit of knowing you are eating consciously, ethically and intentionally.

Natalie Elliott