Regals Tear Past Poets with a Clean Sweep

California Lutheran Universityโ€™s womenโ€™s tennis team swept Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference opponent Whittier Feb. 25. The Regals won every doubles and singles match effortlessly, finishing 9-0 to win for the first time this season.

The doubles matches were won by wide margins as senior Emily Werman and junior Annette Sousa finished off the set 8-2 at court No. 1. After losing consecutive games while leading 6-0, Werman and Sousa closed out the set by breaking the opponentโ€™s serve.

Senior Shelby Kubota and sophomore Christie Kurdys took a commanding 8-1 win at court No. 2.

โ€œI think this game I was just really aggressive in doubles. I was going for the middle, going for poaches and I think that helped with the win,โ€ Kubota said.

The third doubles match was a forfeit due to a lack of active players on Whittierโ€™s roster.

โ€œPeople get injured at the beginning of the season because youโ€™re starting out and going really hard and people get hurt really easily. Usually we donโ€™t have short players on the teams that we play, but today it just worked out like that,โ€ Sousa said.

In singles, every Regals player won both of their sets in extraordinary fashion. Sophomore Sarah Seeman was on fire as she performed a double bagel, an impressive tennis feat meaning winning sets 6-0, 6-0 without giving up a game at court No. 4. Kurdys was successful as she also completed a thrilling double bagel, winning her match 6-0, 6-0 at court No. 2.

Double bagel: Senior Shelby Kubota helped her team to a 9-0 victory over Whitier with her doubles score of 8-1 alongside of sophomore Christie Kurdys. Photo by P.K. Duncan--Staff Photographer
    Double bagel: Senior Shelby Kubota helped her team to a 9-0 victory over Whitier with her doubles score of 8-1 alongside of sophomore Christie Kurdys.
    Photo by P.K. Duncan–Staff Photographer

Sousa set the tone early and dominated on her way to victory 6-2, 6-1 at court No. 3.

โ€œI came out more loose than I normally do. I really wanted to play well today just because it was a home match and itโ€™s our first home match we probably would have won, and we did,โ€ Sousa said. โ€œSo I think coming out with the mindset that I should just go for it and not really care about how I look or anything really helped a lot.โ€

Werman clinched her match 6-1, 6-2 at court No. 1, and junior Nicole Neumann closed out her match 6-0, 6-3 at court No. 5. Number-six singles was a forfeit as Whittier only had five players at the match.

โ€œI think they mentally stuck with it, like the other team wasnโ€™t quite at the highest level of play, and I think itโ€™s hard to play against teams like that. So I think they really stuck with it, they finished the match, they played well, not giving away too many games, so I think thatโ€™s what they did well today,โ€ Head Coach Vanessa McPadden said.

The Violet and Gold showed substantial improvement after having to face more experienced teams earlier in the season.

โ€œI think we did really well. Weโ€™ve been working hard on being aggressive at the net and coming together and cheering as a team, so I think weโ€™re not completely there yet, but weโ€™re improving which is good,โ€ Kubota said.

Cal Lutheran destroyed its first home conference match setting a high bar for the rest of the season.

Cal Lutheran (1-3, 1-1 SCIAC) will be playing its next match away at Cal Tech March 3 at 3 p.m.

โ€œCal Tech has gotten a lot better over the years, but I feel like if we come out strong, maybe even stronger than today we could do really well against them. I mean, our plan is to beat them so hopefully weโ€™ll do that,โ€ Sousa said.

Matt Weisman