Sports Briefs: News From Around the Leagues

Goff goes to LA Rams with top pick

The Los Angeles Rams selected University of California quarterback Jared Goff as the first overall pick of the NFL draft.

According to ESPN, this is the second time in seven years the Los Angeles Rams have used the first overall pick in the NFL draft on a quarterback.

Goff is the 22nd quarterback taken with the first overall pick in the common draft era and the first Cal quarterback to land in the first round since the Green Bay Packers took Aaron Rodgers at No. 24 in 2005, ESPN reported.

The Rams will be training at California Lutheran University starting fall 2016.

Lakers hire Luke Walton as head coach

The Los Angeles Lakers have hired Luke Walton as their new head coach. Walton was previously an assistant coach for the Golden State Warriors, and told the Los Angeles Times that the transition was “a difficult decision.”

“It was a tough decision, but I didn’t have to sleep on it because I already kind of thought it out,” Walton said to The Los Angeles Times. “Obviously, I love that the past two years, the players here are incredible, not just talent-wise, but the people they are. I love the coaching staff I work with here.”

According to ESPN, Walton landed a five-year deal with the Lakers.

Spurs blow out Thunder in Game 1

The San Antonio Spurs defeated the Oklahoma City Thunder 124-92 on April 30. According to ESPN, the game might have been the Spurs’ “most complete home game since March, if not all season.”

According to SB Nation, Kawhi Leonard and LaMarcus Aldridge were “unstoppable.” Leonard and Aldridge combine for 27 points in the first quarter, outscoring the entire Thunder team by seven points.

“The last two quarters were essentially garbage time,” SB Nation reported.

The game opened the Western Conference semifinals.

Ellinor Rundhovde
    Published May 4th, 2016