News Briefs: On Campus, Across the Nation & Around the World

Cruz names Fiorina as running partner

Presidential candidate Ted Cruz named former presidential hopeful Carly Fiorina as his vice presidential running mate.

According to CNN, this is a last-ditch effort to gain momentum โ€œafter being mathematically eliminated from winning the GOP presidential nomination outright.โ€

Fiorina said in a CNN interview that the final decision had been made the day before the announcement.

Trump swept Cruz in all five East Coast states on April 26, losing crucial delegate votes.

McCainโ€™s fundraiser consultant gets arrested

Emily Pitha, a political fundraiser for U.S. Senator John McCain, was arrested on suspicion of drug possession among other charges.

According to MSNBC, her live-in boyfriend, Chris Hustrulid, allegedly signed for a delivery which contained more than 250 grams of Ecstasy.

Undercover detectives and U.S. Postal Inspectors raided the home after the package was delivered. Methamphetamines, LSD, heroin, cocaine, an active meth lab and about $7,000 of counterfeit cash were also found by detectives, MSNBC reported.

Obama โ€œdrops the micโ€ at the White House

After a comedic speech to Washingtonโ€™s bigwigs and Hollywoodโ€™s biggest stars, President Obama closed his final Correspondentsโ€™ Dinner with a brief โ€œObama out,โ€ and a mic drop.

According to NPR, the president took jabs at celebrities, journalists and even the current presidential candidates during his routine.

โ€œIs this dinner too tacky for The Donald? What could he possibly be doing instead? Is he at home, eating a Trump steak, tweeting out insults to Angela Merkel?โ€ย  Obama said.

But in the end, President Obama turned the jokes on himself saying, โ€œIn my final year, my approval ratings keep going up. The last time I was this high, I was trying to decide on my major.โ€

10 soldiers released from hostage situation

Ten sailors from Indonesia were released on May 1 after being held hostage for over a month in the Philippines.

According to the New York Times, President Joko Widodo of Indonesia announced the sailors were in good condition and would be flown back to Jakarta immediately.

The 10 men were abducted by Abu Sayyaf, a militant organization in the southern Philippines after their tugboat passed through the waters of the southwestern Philippines.

The New York Times reported money had been demanded from the soldiers but there is no confirmation that any money had been exchanged.

Malia Obama to attend Harvard this fall

President Barack Obamaโ€™s oldest daughter Malia Obama will be attending Harvard University in the fall of 2017.

According to NBC News, the president and first lady announced Malia Obama will first be taking a gap year. She is currently a senior at Sidwell Friends School in Washington D.C.

It is unclear what Malia Obama will be doing during her gap year, but NBC news reports gap years are often used to travel and/or do humanitarian work.

Malia is set to graduate high school in June and the Obamas are planning to stay in D.C. after the presidency so their youngest daughter Sasha Obama can finish high school as well.

Justine Goodiel
Published May 4th, 2016