Tasty brings out inner chef

Cooking, a lost art in the age of the millennial, is beginning to make a comeback. Tasty videos powered by BuzzFeed is leading the charge. Tasty videos are one to two minute tutorials showcasing a range of recipe options that are quick and easy to prepare.

Cookbooks are daunting in nature. They are thick, usually 500 pages, with intense instructions.

Unfortunately, the uninviting nature of the cookbook has turned off many young adults to the idea of cooking. Instead, these young adults are turning to food delivery services like eat24 or Ubereats. Young adults donโ€™t want to spend the time or energy preparing these intense meals, let alone sit down and actually read a cookbook.

Instant gratification of food is the new norm. People are thumbing through 30 news articles at once. The way we are able to access information is truly amazing. Tasty has tapped into the millennial culture.

Tasty understands the short attention span every young adult seems to have. By doing so, they are also inviting a huge population back into the culinary world. There was the age of YouTube, and now the age of Vine, where if something is longer than 15 seconds we get a little antsy. Tasty perfectly merges the two together by posting 30 seconds to 1-minute-long videos that illustrate the easiness of cooking a meal.

Tasty is the perfect tool for millennials who demand instantaneous results.

According to the State Press, โ€œBuzzFeed has nailed the art of Internet aesthetic, learned the lingo of 2015, and can infiltrate modern culture like no other publication today.โ€

In a span of a minute, Tasty has the ability to give exact instructions on how to prepare a culinary masterpiece. One huge thing Tasty has introduced to the consumer is the ease of cooking. Cookbooks have always been a daunting task, and at times seem impossible to conquer.

Tasty makes cooking look so easy that even my boyfriend who could burn water can cook without screwing up. Peoples attention span is not what it used to be. They arenโ€™t spending hours reading a cookbook, but they will spend a minute learning how to cook a meal. Short videos, GIFs and numbered lists are a smart way to capture an audience in a clear and entertaining way.

As a millennial, I have also succumbed to the cultural norm of instantaneous. As a cook who happens to love reading cookbooks, I find the Tasty videos a refreshing and extremely helpful tool that has never been available before. The videos also show technique and gives the viewer the idea of how everything should look step by step.

โ€œThe great thing about the Tasty videos is that it shows how easy it can be to make great dishes. It inspires people to cook when they see the videos on their newsfeed, because the recipes are simple and quick,โ€ California Lutheran University student Emma Ofria said.

As college students, most of us are on budgets that donโ€™t exactly allowย  us to be cooking gourmet meals every night. Tasty offers recipes that are limited in ingredients but not limited in taste.

According to Fortuneโ€™s website, โ€œThe internet has an insatiable appetite for food content, and BuzzFeed is going big in the category.โ€

It continues to discuss how Facebook is the perfect platform, as it has an auto-play feature that helps Tasty increase its viewership. Within hours that video can have millions of views and shares. Needless to say, the Tasty revolution is here to stay, and the world of cooking better be ready.

Chefs should not shun the idea of Tasty videos, but embrace it. For far too long the world of cooking has had its doors closed to many, but these short videos have the ability to open up the world of cooking for anyone who cares to watch.

No matter if you are an amateur or a professional, these short videos will get you in the kitchen and have you cooking up a storm.

Jessica Gilbert
    Published February 10th, 2016