Kingsmen look to avenge bitter ending to 2015

The California Lutheran University baseball team has its eyes on one thing this upcoming 2016 season – winning a national championship. A feat that would be the first in the universityโ€™s storied baseball history.

Billy Davison, a transfer that will be helpful to the Kingsmen success this season, mid-throw on the pitcher's mound during practice. Photo by Madi Schmader - Staff Photographer
    Billy Davison, a transfer that will be helpful to the Kingsmen success this season, mid-throw on the pitcher’s mound during practice.
    Photo by Madi Schmader – Staff Photographer

The Kingsmen ended last season in heartbreak fashion. After winning a third consecutive Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference regular season title, the team lost in a pivotal Game 7 of the SCIAC Tournament Finals to La Verne. Although the Kingsmenโ€™s record was good enough for an at large bid for the regional tournament, the NCAA Committee didnโ€™t select them, aย  decision that is engraved in the teamโ€™s mind.

Junior pitcher Tyler Nevins sees the end of last season as something that the team can use as motivation. He said he believes it has brought the team closer together.

โ€œBeing snubbed has made us even more anxious to start this season off well,โ€ Nevins said.ย  โ€œThe camaraderie level has united our team as we all share the same goal of winning a national championship.โ€

To avoid a fate similar to last season, Cal Lutheran strengthened its scheduling. The team will set out on two tough out-of-state tournaments.

โ€œThe strength of schedule is one of the main criteria for you getting into regionals,โ€ said Marty Slimak, who is headed into his 23rd year as head coach. โ€œLast year we had a really good record [32-12] but we didnโ€™t get in because our strength of schedule was just underneath the team that beat us out.โ€

Slimak is also hopeful that the highly competitive out-of-state tournaments will serve as preparation for what the team may face in what he hopes is a long season.

โ€œWhen we go out of state we try to play the best possible teams,โ€ Slimak said. โ€œAnd ones that will also have really high strength of schedule.โ€

Although the program has high aspirations for this season, it all begins with league play. In order to even get a chance to make regionals and compete for a National Championship, the team must first win SCIAC and the conference tournament.

โ€œOur first goal is to win our conference and that has got to be our number one goal,โ€ Slimak said. โ€œIf you win your conference and tournament you are automatically in.โ€

The SCIAC conference is highly competitive. Theย  nine-member league has been steadily improving each year. Currently, it seems there are three teams in particular that appear to be the biggest threat to ending Cal Lutheranโ€™s three-year reign as regular season champions.

โ€œThe three biggest challengers in our league would be Redlands, La Verne and Chapman,โ€ Slimak said.

Offensively the Kingsmen are hoping to lean on their experience. This year the lineup is headlined by a three-headed monster of senior infielder Davey Casciola and senior outfielders Justin Caรฑa and Ramsey Abushahla.

Slimak expects the trio to carry much of the offensive load this upcoming season.

โ€œOffensively they are going to have to carry us,โ€ Slimak said. โ€œIf those guys lead the way and set the table we will be very good.โ€

On the pitching side of things Cal Lutheran has some young arms mixed with some experienced ones. The staff is led by senior right-handed pitcher Landry Kiyabu, senior left-handed pitcher Mitchell Shields and sophomore right-handed pitcher Nate Wehner.

Billy Davidson, Ventura College standout and recent Cal Lutheran transfer is eager to join the staff and make an impact.

โ€œIโ€™m excited to be able to be out on the field everyday with a great group of guys,โ€ Davidson said. โ€œWe all want to win and bring home a National Championship.โ€

Cal Lutheran will begin its quest for a first ever national championship on Feb. 5 at 2 p.m. when the team hosts Whitworth.

Conference play for the Kingsmen begins on Feb. 26-27 with a series against SCIAC foe Chapman.

Andrew Davies
    Published February 3rd, 2016