Ahmanson Veteran Resource office now open

Veterans Day is a day Ameri-cans set a side once a year to acknowledge our past and present war heroes.ย 

On Nov. 11 California Lutheran University honored veterans with the opening of the Ahmanson Veteran Resource Office where the former cafeteria used to stand.

New additions: On Nov. 11, President Chris Kimball addressed the Cal Lutheran community who attended  the grand opening for the new Student Union building and the new Ahmanson Veteran Resource Office.  Photo by PK Duncan - Staff Photographer
New additions: On Nov. 11, President Chris Kimball addressed the Cal Lutheran community who attended the grand opening for the new Student Union building and the new Ahmanson Veteran Resource Office.
Photo by PK Duncan – Staff Photographer

The Ahmanson Veteran Resource Office is meant to be a place for veteran students of Cal Lutheran to receive help and guidance during their time at the university.

The President of The Military Veterans Club Justin Meiners spoke right before the ribbon of the new offices was cut. Meiners said how crucial the office was going be to him and the other veterans on campus.

โ€œI know that I can speak for all the veterans here that we are really excited to have this place to call our own here at Cal Lutheran, not that we didnโ€™t like it over there at financial aid and admissions, but to have this space is really awesome,โ€ Meiners said. โ€œI think the most important thing is that we have this space that we can all be together, we have all of these shared experiences and now we have a place to call our own.โ€

Many people came out to support Cal Lutheranโ€™s opening of the new resource office. Assemblymember Jacqui Irwin and Congresswoman Julia Brownley were among the Veterans Day is a day Americans set a side once a year to acknowledge our past and present war heroes.ย 

Many people came out to support Cal Lutheranโ€™s opening of the new resource office. Assemblymember Jacqui Irwin and Congresswoman Julia Brownley were among the speakers.

Irwin said the new resource center will be beneficial to veterans on campus.

โ€œFrom managing federal benefits and facilitating the use of the GI bill to guiding students with unique challenges, this resource center will create a place of safety and support for our veteran students,โ€ Irwin said.

According to the 2014 Census Bureau there are 21.8 million veterans living in the United States of America.

โ€œOne thing I have learned veryย  well as being a member of the committee is that we prepare our men and woman very well to join the service to prepare for their service,โ€ Bradley said.

Bradley said it is important to blend the veteran community with the larger community of our population.

Veterans Coordinator Jenn Zimmerman was a key figure throughout the process of opening the doors to the community.

The ceremonial opening of the Ahmanson Veteran Resource Office was not the only new addition to Cal Lutheran Nov. 11.

The new Student Union cut its ribbon on the same day. Cal Lutheranโ€™s Student Union was torn down three years ago in order to make room for Ullman Commons.

The Student Union is a place meant for students to unwind in-between classes in a relaxed environment. In the Student Union students can rent board games or even just stop by to charge their computers conveniently in their seats.

Many students are excitedย about this new addition to campus.

Dylan King and Nicole Schedler were amongst the students visiting the Student Union on its opening day and were excited about this new addition to campus.ย 

King is a senior and commuter at Cal Lutheran. He said he was looking forward to how convenient the new Student Union will be.

โ€œAs a commuter I ride my bike to campus every day. I donโ€™t have a car to sit in between classes. This is a space I can go to and do homework or relax in-between classes,โ€ King said.

โ€œIt will be nice to have a space where you can sit with people without it being as quiet at the library or Starbucks where you feel obligated to buy a Starbucks,โ€ Schedler said.

Heather Tomaszewski
Published November 18th, 2015