Last One There’s a Rotten Glow Egg

On March 21, more than 50 students gathered in the middle of the night in Kingsmen Park to have some child-like fun.

There were 576 glowing eggs hidden in all of the dark crevices that make up Kingsmen Park to be found by hopeful explorers. The eggs were filled with glow sticks, which made them easy to see in the dark, and of course they were also filled with a variety of candy.

This event, hosted by resident assistants, welcomed all students including commuters to join in the fun.

Sophomore Ricky Mendoza was in charge Saturday night as the excitement built and students stood on their toes as he counted down, โ€œthree, two, one, go!โ€

The event lasted about 20 minutes, which is understandable when you consider how many people were battling for eggs as fast as they could.

Mendoza, a RA in Mount Clef, had been planning this event to spread some Easter cheer before students leave for spring break.

The second the students were given permission they all sprinted in different directions to snatch up as many glow-in-the-dark eggs as they could.

Mendoza said this was a great way for students to interact with one another. This was just some good, old-fashioned, childhood fun everyone could enjoy.

โ€œOne of the things that I look forward to in college is acting like a kid again, just having fun no matter what,โ€ Mendoza said.

Acting like a kid is exactly the tone that was set for this activity. All who participated did so with smiles and laughter.

Fellow RA and junior Jamell Dorton came out to support his peers. Dorton said RAs enjoy supporting each other at the various events they put on, but they also enjoy the fun that comes with it.

โ€œIโ€™m proud of Ricky [Mendoza] for doing what he wants to do and for spreading his love towards the entire campus. Itโ€™s really great that he made this an all-campus event,โ€ Dorton said.

Freshman Samantha Schindler joined in on the fun as well. She said she comes to RA sponsored events when she can as long as it sounds fun and it interests her.

โ€œIt looked like fun. I mean glow-in-the-dark eggs in the park. How many times can you say you went glow-in-the-dark Easter egg hunting for free?โ€ Schindler said.

While a glow-in-the-dark Easter egg hunt looks like fun and games, there are some definite strategies one must consider in order to thrive at this type of game.

โ€œRun faster than everyone else and scope everything out before they start,โ€ Schindler said.

Mendoza also had some advice for future glow-in-the-dark egg hunters.

โ€œIn hunting these eggs you got to keep them eyes sharp. Maybe prepare your eyes before in your room, just keep in a dark area,โ€ Mendoza said.

No matter how prosperous student participants were Saturday night, it is safe to say everyone had fun reliving childhood memories with new friends. And if they did not capture as many eggs as planned, the good news is that they have a whole year to take the advice of Schindler and Mendoza and practice, or just go out and buy some night vision goggles.

Heather Tomaszewski
    Published March 25th, 2015