Campaign show sparks of love to under privileged children in Southern California

The Bachelorโ€™s Degree for Professionals Program at California Lutheran University is hosting the Spark of Love Toy Drive, which will go through Dec. 15.

The campaign, put on by KABC7 and SoCal Firefighters all throughout Southern California collects toys and sporting equipment for under privileged children to receive on Christmas.

According to ABC7.com, โ€œOver the past two decades, Spark of Love has successfully collected more than eight million toys. The campaign collects new, unwrapped toys and sports equipment for underserved children and teens in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Orange, Ventura and Riverside counties.โ€

Kristy Fenstermaker, academic adviser to students in the Bachelors Degree for Professionals Program, is sponsoring the toy drive on behalf of her department along with Dr. Ariana Young, assistant professor of psychology.

Fenstermaker said she found out about the program through Dr. Lisa L. Buono, assistant professor and interim director of the Adult Degree Evening Program when Buono mentioned that she had always loved donating to the cause.

โ€œWe were all really interested in jumping on board and having some sort of effort here through our office just to be able to give back to the community,โ€ Fenstermaker said.

Kacy Cashatt, a senior resident assistant in Grace Hall has teamed up with Fenstermaker and Young to collect toys from undergraduate students as well.

โ€œWeโ€™re having a program [in Grace Hall] called โ€œWinter Wind Downโ€ on Dec. 13. In order to come, weโ€™re asking people to donate a toy or donate a couple bucks,โ€ Cashatt said.

Fenstermaker said the drive has been going well so far with almost two full boxes in the Bachelors Degree for Professionals Office. She also said there are collection boxes located in the Presidentโ€™s Office, Chapel, Pre school and in their admissions office located in Alumni Hall.

โ€œWe really want to have a good amount of toys to bring to the firefighters this year. Weโ€™re already past, I think, what we did last year so thatโ€™s always good,โ€ Fenstermaker said.

Junior Mackenzie Paul, a resident in Grace Hall has seen the collection box located in the Grace Lounge and supports the cause.

โ€œBy donating youโ€™re helping a kid believe in Christmas. Thatโ€™s a really cool thing,โ€ Paul said.

Cashatt also said that she feels it is important to donate to the cause because every kid deserves to experience Christmas.

โ€œThe majority of us at Cal Lutheran are privileged and we had toys when we were kids. Some kids donโ€™t have toys and I think all kids should have toys [on Christmas],โ€ Cashatt said.

Fenstermaker said all students have to do is bring the toys or sporting equipment to any of the drop-off locations.

โ€œOnce weโ€™ve finished our collection, weโ€™ll take it to one of the local fire stations and give our donation,โ€ Fenstermaker said.

According to Fenstermaker, the firestation that they donate the toys to is always really excited because they donโ€™t usually get as many donations from the community at their particular location.

The drive will continue through Dec 15. To donate, find a collection box at either the Presidentโ€™s Office, Chapel, Pre school or the admission office for the Bachelors Degree for Professionals Program in Alumni Hall.

For more information contact Kristy Fenstermaker at [email protected].

Natalie Kalmdaryan

Senior Writer

Published December 10, 2014