Alcohol Awareness week promotes safety during Halloween

During the week leading up to Halloween, many college students are preparing for a fun weekend with costumes and most likely alcohol.ย  Because California Lutheran University is a dry campus, Wellness Programs has created a weekโ€™s worth of events dedicated to alcohol education.

This year, Wellness Programs decided to move Alcohol Awareness week to the week before Halloween.

โ€œWe decided to move the date because of the high-risk behavior among college students that occurs around this holiday,โ€ said sophomore Dylan King, a Wellness Center intern.

โ€œOur goal was for students to take what they learn and implement it into their social lives.ย  We donโ€™t want to totally discourage drinking, but we want to encourage and foster responsible drinking habits,โ€ King said.

Students are encouraged to participate and learn from the activities offered throughout the week.

On October 29during โ€œDonโ€™t Die Drunkโ€, 1,000 red solo cups are placed on planter boxes throughout campus.ย  Each cup represents two college students that die every year from alcohol related incidents. โ€œThe purpose of this display was to provide students at CLU with a powerful images that correlates with unsettling statistics,โ€ King said.

On the same night, the Red Watch Band goes through a training program.ย  โ€œThe Red Watch Program teaches the signs of alcohol poisoning in case of an emergency,โ€ said junior Ethan Flyer, a member of the Red Watch Band.

โ€œThe program also offers CPR training which is helpful because students need to be aware of how to treat someone if they are unconscious,โ€ Flyer said. ย According to the Red Watch Campaign, 599,000 college students are injured each year under the influence of alcohol.

โ€œLiqu – or Treatโ€ on October 30 is a tabling event that informs students about the calories found in alcohol.ย  โ€œMany people think that candy is the only thing that will get them this Halloween season, but alcohol can be just as dangerous,โ€ King said.

Students are encouraged by the Wellness Center to understand how serious alcohol poisoning can be. โ€œThere is something to learn at each event,โ€ King said.

If Students need to talk to someone about an alcohol related issue they are encouraged to call counseling services at (805) 493-3727.

Students can also contact Alcoholics Anonymous at (805) 495-1111 if they do not feel comfortable using on-campus resources.

In addition, the Wellness Center is always available for questions students may have.ย  They can be reached at (805) 493-3197.

Zachary Kaija