Disney buys Lucasfilm and destroys Star Wars Empire

Filmmaker George Lucas, former owner of the Star Wars franchise, has sold everything and anything that is Star Wars to Disney. For $4.5 billion, The Walt Disney Company now owns Lucasfilm. This may be good news for the Lucas family, the Star Wars franchise, the upcoming movies and even the charities Lucas pledged to give most of the money to, however, fans like myself are screaming in pain.

โ€œI didnโ€™t believe it at first. I thought it was a joke,โ€ said sophomore Kevin Schultz. โ€œWhen I found out, I let out a pretty big โ€˜noโ€™ and basically stewed in frustration for a while.โ€ I fear the worst will happen to Star Wars. Justin Bieber will become a Jedi Knight, Chewbacca will be someoneโ€™s puppy, there will be a sing-a-long half way through the movie and Jar-Jar Binks will return. Anything but Jar-Jar Binks.

Star Wars geeks and fans, what Lucas did was equivalent to Anakin turning to the โ€œDark Sideโ€ and destroying the Jedi temple.

Lately, Disney has produced terrible movies and has failed to appeal to the majority of the world. Schultz said unless you have a good story and characters, special effects donโ€™t mean much.

There are some faithful fans onย  CLUโ€™s campus. โ€œIt will be interesting to see how it turns out,โ€ saidย  CLU geology professor Richard Hurst. โ€œWeโ€™ll have to see what Disney does with it.โ€ This is coming from a man who saw the original Star Wars 16 times in 1977.

I mean, what else is left of Star Wars? The Death Star has been destroyed, the Empire is gone and there is peace. If they start up a whole new war and storyline I foresee the death of a legacy. โ€œThey will need something new,โ€ said Hurst. โ€œWho discovered the force?โ€ It would be neat to see that, but overall, Lucas has put the franchise in harmโ€™s way.

This is the same company that will suck up any competition and destroy any reputation they had, and yet Lucas sold his soul to them. $4.5 billion is a whole lot of money, but what about the fans, the message of Star Wars and the hope for another George Lucas original?

This is draining. Iโ€™ve read the books, seen the movies, played with the toys, rode the original and latest Star Tours and I have a light saber on hand just in case the empire returns. Yes, Iโ€™m a certified Jedi who believes this is terrible news. The message of Star Wars was to question law makers, find the truth and fight for what you think is right.

Disney will dramatically change this message. Say goodbye Star Wars and originality and say hello to a world now owned by the Disney empire.

Rafael Padilla
    Published Nov. 28, 2012