CLU’s Morning Glory is getting Instagram’d

Start saving those pictures you consider priceless, finish putting the final touches on your personal masterpiece and complete the final notes of your classic musical piece: the 2012 edition of Morning Glory needs you.

Since its inception in 1971, the award-winning Morning Glory magazine features art, music and literature created by the CLU community.

“There are so many amazing writers, artists and musicians at the school that sometimes do not have a creative outlet.

Morning Glory is looking to give those people a voice,” said Assistant Editor Josiah Canto.

Filled with works from current students, faculty, staff and alumni, Morning Glory was the invention of Jack Ledbetter.  Today the California Lutheran University English department oversees the publication. With the help of adviser of Joan Wines, the 41st edition will soon be in production.

“We have a returning art editor from last year…I’m not sure how often this happens and last year’s edition turned out phenomenal,” said Art and Design Editor Andrew Degoede.

Morning Glory has won many awards through the years and has been named an Associated College Press winner of the All-American and Peacemaker Awards. Last year’s edition also received the All-American honor.

“It felt great to see all of our hard work recognized, but we are always aiming higher. As one critic wrote, ‘improve on what seems to be perfection,’” said Degoede.

One idea for improvement this year is the addition of Instagram photos.  With over 100 million users, Instagram is quickly becoming the Facebook of photo sharing.

Morning Glory is hoping to incorporate the media application in this year’s edition.

“Because of the size and quality of the photos, they will most likely be collaged together,” said Degoede.

The idea came from Degoede and alumnus Nate Maxwell-Doherty. The two hope Instagram will facilitate a better way for the CLU community to share photos with Morning Glory.

“I think it is a great idea,” said junior Liezle Lingasin. “If I take a picture I think would be a good addition, of course I will Instagram it to them.”

Another goal this year for  Morning Glory is to increase publicity. The staff has been hard at work trying to generate more interest in the magazine.  Morning Glory will share rack space around campus with “the Echo” and will be available at schools, banquets and functions.

“This semester we are publicizing, publicizing, publicizing,” said Canto. “Things are going well. We have a great staff that is really excited to put out an excellent magazine. We will be showcasing the 2012-2013 edition at a banquet in May.”

There are so many gifted writers, artists and musicians on campus and Morning Glory is looking to give those people the spotlight. The publication’s staff is still looking for those special pieces.

This year’s submission deadline is Sunday, Feb. 10, and the staff urges you to consider submitting one or many works.  The staff is expanding their publicity to attract graphic design artists, digital illustrations, printmaking, ceramics and sculptures in hopes of including these works in the final publication.

“After people submit their work, a selection committee pours over every entry until a solid body of work is compiled,” said Degoede.

Morning Glory tries to improve each year by searching for new and exciting entries.

“It really comes down to creating a collection of the most creative work our school has to offer,” said Degoede.

To submit your art, music, literature and more, email [email protected] or submit by adding @morningglory2013 to any photo you take on Instagram.
Copies of the award-winning Morning Glory will be available on campus starting in May.

Matt O’Brien
Published Nov. 7, 2012