Leadership Forum brings community leaders to CLU

The Mathews Leadership Forum will return on Nov. 8 for the first time since 2005, giving students face time with some of the most established business leaders in the community.

Founded originally by Mark Mathews, former president of CLU, the Mathews Leadership Forum has been in place for 35 years.

Originally a classroom seminar, this forum has evolved into an event that has brought some of the most elite business leaders to California Lutheran University in order to begin a dialogue between the community and students.

โ€œWhat this forum is all about is bringing community leaders in to CLU so they get more involved with the school and engaging them with students,โ€ said Cindy Keitel, coordinator of community relations.

This forum is open to business members, students, staff, faculty and community leaders who will have the opportunity to participate in a roundtable discussion.

Some of the business leaders that will be in attendance include Conejo Valley Unified School District Superintendent Jeff Baarstad, Thousand Oaks Mayor Jacqui Irwin, Ventura County CEO Michael Powers, CFO of Harbor Freight Tools Jordan Copland, Thousand Oaks Police Commander Randy Pentis and president and CEO of Natural Pet Balance Foods, Joey Herrick.

At the Mathews Leadership Forum, students and community members and leaders will gather together at tables where a series of roundtable discussion and questions will take place.

โ€œIt gives students the opportunity to be able to sit down with people who are very successful in all different facets of life and then find out what they really want to do,โ€ said John Short, chairman of the event and vice president of UBS Financial Services.

Keynote speaker Peter Jordano, CEO and President of Jordanoโ€™s Inc., one of the leading beverage and food service suppliers in the United States, will speak about his most successful business practices.

โ€œIโ€™ve been in business myself for 54 years. What Iโ€™d like to be able to do is share with these students what has proved to work for me that I didnโ€™t learn in college. I want to share with them how to make things happen for you in your life,โ€ said Jordano.

Baarstad is a first-time speaker at the forum this year.

โ€œIโ€™m an alumni of CLU and appreciate what CLU does to give back to its community so I was happy to say yes,โ€ said Baarstad.

Although the topics of conversation at the forum are broad, students can ask business leaders questions they have always wanted to know the answers to when it comes to the working world.

Students can receive advice from those with experience.

โ€œI am always interested in everyoneโ€™s point of view so I hope I get some meaty topics to get into and discuss,โ€ said Baarstad.

This forum provides a great opportunity for students who are in their final year at CLU as it falls during a highly opportune time to network with business leaders in the community.

The Mathews Leadership Forum, presented by the CLU Community Leaders Association and UCLA Health System, will be held in the Lundring Events Center from 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 8.

The theme of the event is โ€œHuman Capital: Building Business through People.โ€ Admission is free of charge for students.

For non-CLU community members, the cost is $55 per ticket.

Ticket sales are limited and can be reserved and purchased at www.callutheran.edu/cla.

Kristin Cameron

View Comments (1)

• J

J StewartFeb 8, 2021 at 5:16 pm

It’s important to value the human capital in the organization. Supporting Employee growth should be a priority in any organization.

Reply