iCLU mixes things up with a little gossip, rock and sports

iCLU, the student-run online radio station, is now up and running at their location on north campus.

With the new semester iCLU has a number of new programs, featuring everything from football and classic rock to celebrity gossip.

iCLU broadcasts 24 hours a day online at iCLUradio.com. Live programs run from 6 p.m. Monday through Friday with music and news updates around the clock.

Kassidy Hansen hosts โ€œRadioactive Rock.โ€

Her show features her own favorite rock and alternative rock songs, along with commentary about those bands.

โ€œI like to play things that people havenโ€™t heard before, or havenโ€™t listened to in a while,โ€ said Hansen. โ€œI like the idea that they let me go in for an hour and play my favorite music.โ€

When she applied for the job at iCLU in March, Hansen cut a demo with only six songs and some commentary. From that demo, her advisers told her she was a natural. She has kept up ever since.

โ€œGossip Girlsโ€ is another show featured on iCLU. โ€œGossip Girlsโ€ is a talk show centered on celebrity gossip, technology news and the different events on CLUโ€™s campus.

Each episode features host Kat McConnell and guests in a panel discussion format. Any CLU student can be a guest an McConnellโ€™s panel.

โ€œWe have a panel discussion. Itโ€™s fun. Itโ€™s like talking to your friends about the [celebrity] news,โ€ said McConnell.

One of McConnellโ€™s favorite guests was Alex Duffant, a sophomore and a participant on โ€œJeopardy.โ€

She and her co-host asked him rapid-fire questions that he answered on the spot.

The other iCLU pop-culture radio program is โ€œKicking Backโ€ with Ronnie Burton and Andi Ferraud-Shepher.

โ€œBasically, we talk about anything and everything,โ€ said Burton. โ€œWe talk about pop culture, events, we have special guests, [and] we bash on celebrities. Itโ€™s supposed to be comedic. Itโ€™s lighthearted and humorous.โ€

โ€œKicking Backโ€ also features funny or insightful stories straight from the students about life on campus.

iCLU also provides sports programming in its lineup. โ€œBack of the Classโ€ is an NFL-based radio program with hosts Keir Chapman, David Lopez and Andrew Domanski who actually met in the back of a class that they took together.

They discussed sports in the back of their class and thought that it would be nice to have a sports radio show on iCLU.

In the โ€œBack of the Classโ€ segment, Chapman, Lopez and Domanski break down the team match-ups, teams and players in the NFL.

โ€œWe know the sport. We love the sport, and love talking about it, so there is passion in it and interest there,โ€ said Chapman.

Chapman, McConnell, Hansen and Burton expressed that they would like listeners to give feedback on Facebook and Twitter about their programs. Visit iCLUโ€™s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/icluradio and on Twitter @iCLURadio.

โ€œiCLU has just started. Itโ€™s a student run radio station and we want it to grow,โ€ said Burton. โ€œWe want it to be one of the best student-run, campus run radio stations in the country. Weโ€™re looking for people who want to be on the radio, want to have their own show, so that we can fill up all the dead air. We have 24-hours a day that we can be playing music, or have a show.โ€

To listen to any of the radio shows on iCLU, go to www.icluradio.com. Also check out page 4 for complete iCLU radio schedule.

Elessandria Smith