Bed bugs found in Trinity

It has been around two to three years since there was a case like this on campus. The previous case involved one infected suite in Mt. Clef hall, but the two surrounding suites were also treated to be safe.

โ€œIt is impossible to know how they got here,โ€ said Roper.

People are finding bed bugs in movie theaters, libraries and the Ritz Hotel.โ€

If there is any kind of suspicion about bed bugs in a dormitory, Facilities should be called immediately to go to the room and do an assessment. There are different tests they perform to see if the room has an infestation.

Once identified, there are a few options for treating bed bugs. The least invasive is insecticide spraying.

If you choose to undergo a treatment that does not include the use of chemicals, companies such as Ecola offer heat treatments as an alternative. This involves gradually heating the infested space to a temperature of 130 to 140 degrees to kill the bugs.

Al-Tomaโ€™s room got both treatments, which a 2010 study provided by Pest World said is common when treating for bed bugs.

โ€œThat heat treatment is really supposed to be the gold standard,โ€ said Roper.

Imagine Vincent, a senior living in Trinity hall, said that she saw the heat treatment take place in a dorm room just down the hall from her when she was a freshman living in Mt. Clef hall a couple years ago.

โ€œThey literally brought machines upstairs and they heated up the rooms to like a bazillion degrees so they could kill them,โ€ said Vincent. โ€œI watched them trying to kill the bed bugs.โ€

Residents of the rooms with bed bugs are also given special instructions on how to clean and wash their belongings.

In an email statement regarding the issue, Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students William Rosser, said that the university is always on alert to possible infestations.

โ€œThe University is doing everything possible to keep all residential and non-residential facilities free of unwanted pests. When unwanted pests of any kind are discovered in any of the facilities of the campus, the response occurs as quickly as possible and the staff tries to work positively with anyone who is adversely affected,โ€ said Rosser.

After a month of lost sleep and near-constant worry, it seems the problem is finally under control for Al-Toma and her roommates. But she cautions other students who find themselves itching.

โ€œWatch out, it might be bed bugs,โ€ said Al-Toma.

If a student is concerned they might have bed bugs or any pests in their room it is important to immediately inform their RA. The student should also contact facilities directly at (805) 493-3215.

Heather Ford
    Christa Price
    Special to The Echo
    Published Oct. 31, 2012