Thereโ€™s a form for that

Cutting paper: Seniors Alex Nadell and Kayla Peralta become engulfed in the paperwork required to run the CLU Dance Team.   Photos by Anna Coulson- Staff Photographer
Cutting paper: Seniors Alex Nadell and Kayla Peralta become engulfed in the paperwork required to run the CLU Dance Team.
Photos by Anna Coulson- Staff Photographer

Joining a club can provide one with a variety of new experiences. Meeting new people, visiting new places and learning about a subject with others who share the same interests are just a few benefits. However, there are other aspects of clubs that are much less exciting, such as paperwork.

In order for a club to go on a trip, bring food onto campus or have a guest speaker, it would need to fill out necessary paperwork. This paperwork, while menial to complete, is put in place to protect both students and the university.

According to Jaime Faucher, the coordinator for Transitional and Leadership Development Programs at California Lutheran University, forms like travel waivers and insurance from restaurants are necessary for emergencies. If a restaurant were to cater food on campus and people got sick from it, they would need to be help liable, instead of CLU.

โ€œIf we donโ€™t get the [necessary paperwork for an event] on time, then we will have to cancel the event,โ€ Faucher said.

โ€œWhile paperwork can be a hassle sometimes, it is good to know that the university has our best intentions, and that weโ€™re not filling out forms that are pointless,โ€ said sophomore Reed Nothwang, who is a member of CLUโ€™s Economics Club.
Some clubs need to fill out more forms than others, depending on how many events they hold.

Kayla Peralta, who is president of CLUโ€™s dance team, said that activity clubs like the dance team need to worry about paperwork and budgets more than other clubs.

โ€œI understand [why paperwork is necessary], but itโ€™s just extremely difficult because of how long it takes to get it all filed and make sure itโ€™s all secure,โ€ Peralta said. Paperwork also forces members of the team to be more responsible and accountable.

โ€œOne issue we had is getting our reimbursement forms. Everyone has to keep their receipts, because if we travel, we get reimbursed for gas, so itโ€™s just a matter of making the people reliable to turn in their own paperwork,โ€ Peralta said.
The dance team has also had to deal with budget issues on top of the paperwork.

โ€œA couple of my friends are in [other clubs] and theyโ€™re at the point where they just need to spend money, and weโ€™re at the point where weโ€™ve run out of money,โ€ Peralta said.

While some clubs have had issues with turning in paperwork on time, most of them have made Faucherโ€™s first year at CLU less difficult than it could have been.

โ€œTurning in our paperwork on time wasnโ€™t really an issue because we knew that was extremely important to us,โ€ Peralta said.

โ€œThe clubs in general have been great to work with this year and itโ€™s definitely a learning process,โ€ Faucher said.

While club business may seem easy, it is time consuming and it may require a lot of effort from presidents to make sure their clubs remain functioning and adhere to the many rules and regulations.

Ramsey Abushahla
Published May 7, 2014